Monday, August 29, 2011

Yummy Monday: Rhubarb Cake

I'm a week late, I am aware.  I'd like to think I had some excuse as to why that is, like I was vacationing somewhere exotic, my kitchen was under renovation, or I was trapped under something heavy. 

Truth is, I pretty much just forgot.  All week.  Actually, I remembered each night, but it was so darn late by the time I remembered, I could barely function long enough to shut my computer down for the night, much less try and type up the post.  So here goes.

My friend gave me a whole pile of wonderful end-of-season rhubarb from her garden last week, so I whipped up a delicious rhubarb cake with it.  The recipe was from my parents neighbor, and it might just be one of my favorite things.  It's perfect for breakfast, a snack or dessert.



1/2 cup butter

1 1/2 cups white sugar

1 egg

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 cup buttermilk

2 cups rhubarb, chopped

1 tablespoon all-purpose flour

1/4 cup butter

2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

1 cup packed brown sugar
  1. In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Beat in egg and vanilla.
  2. In another bowl, sift together 2 cups flour, soda, and salt. Add sifted ingredients alternately with buttermilk to creamed mixture.
  3. Toss rhubarb with 1 tablespoon flour, and stir into batter. Spoon batter into buttered 9 x 13 inch pan, and smooth the surface.
  4. Blend together 1/4 cup butter or margarine, cinnamon, and brown sugar; sprinkle evenly over batter.
  5. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
No photos because well, I forgot to take some.  Geez, I'm forgetting everything lately.  I'm off to go find my brain. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews